William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital brings together the knowledge, expertise, research, and innovation of a world-class medical institution into one remarkable facility — with the patient at the center of it all.
Patient and Family Experience
At William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital, patients are treated in a state-of-the-art facility where every aspect of the hospital was designed with the care and comfort of patients and their families in mind.
The landscaping surrounding Clements University Hospital creates a calming environment that helps reduce stress for patients and their families. Privacy and providing a peaceful, quiet environment were priorities in the design process. The hospital’s innovative layout allows deliveries of most supplies to bypass patient hallways, reducing the noise and activity that can disturb patients’ rest.
For patients, the process of checking into the hospital, navigating it, and being discharged have all been made easier. One distinctive feature is a special patient discharge area so that when patients are ready to leave the hospital, they can do so, with whatever assistance they need, more privately and quietly than going through the main entrance.
Research and Innovation
At UT Southwestern, we do more than just offer the latest treatments. We advance understanding of the causes of diseases, along with discoveries related to their treatment and prevention, through a world-renowned research program dedicated to moving discoveries in biomedical science from the research bench to the patient’s bedside.
Our legacy of applied discovery continues at the William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital. Designed to integrate the process and fruits of discovery into patient care, the facility has more than 35,000 square feet of space dedicated to research and learning.
The Patient and Family Resource Center allow patients and family members to research specific conditions, and interactive displays feature key discoveries made by UTSW faculty throughout the years.
At its core, Clements University Hospital reflects our dedication to innovation and discovery, as well as our commitment to delivering care that reflects the latest advances of benefit to our patients to promote their health and well-being.
The William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital has been designed to enhance the experience of our patients and their families; to promote our commitment to innovation and training; and to support our physicians and other caregivers in delivering safe, effective, and compassionate care to all who come to us for help.
Quality, Safety, and Efficiency
The new William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital was planned and built with quality, safety, and efficiency as top priorities. The result is a facility where every detail contributes to enhanced patient care.
- The building was designed in its distinctive W shape as a way of reducing the distances that caregivers must travel to reach patients on the patient care floors.
- The design also allows for simpler wayfinding and creates better adjacencies for care providers, as well as better visibility for team members to see each other, all of which contribute to reduced confusion and noise.
- An innovative chute system that quickly whisks trash and used linen away from patient areas was incorporated into the building to help prevent infections.
- Floor coloring was designed to reduce the risk of accidents by making dropped items easier to spot.
- A sophisticated air filtration system provides fresher, cleaner air throughout the hospital, which is also a safety feature in reducing the risk of infections.
This focus on quality, safety, and efficiency – combined with the expertise of our caregivers and the use of advanced technology – means that Clements University Hospital offers a level of care and medical sophistication unparalleled in this region. In fact, the hospital has received a national Rising Star Award for improved quality and safety efforts, ranking it within the country’s top 25 academic medical center hospitals.
Education and Training
As a leading academic medical center, UT Southwestern educates the physicians, medical scientists, and health care professionals of the future. We also are committed to educating our patients about their conditions and treatment options, and we want to be a resource to the community in matters of science and health.
The new William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital serves as a centerpiece for our commitment to education and training.
- For patients and their loved ones, an array of technologies, as well as the availability of a Patient and Family Resource Center, enables them to become better informed about their conditions and treatment, as well as about groundbreaking research and clinical trials that may lead to new medical breakthroughs.
- For the North Texas community, the hospital is a major new resource for learning about research, medicine, and maintaining good health.
- For students, residents, and fellows, the new hospital exposes them to the most sophisticated technology and the most advanced approaches to patient care, complementing the exemplary education they receive from UTSW’s distinguished faculty in both the clinical and basic sciences.
- Numerous “touch down” spaces were designed throughout the hospital, where small groups could gather and discuss issues as they arise. The goal was to create an environment that promotes collaboration and team-based learning. Teaching spaces located on patient floors can be used for physician rounding, student and resident education, and for care teams to meet to develop collaborative treatment and care plans that are specialized to each patient.
- The new hospital includes a 10,000-square-foot Education and Conference Center that provides a venue for student, faculty, staff, and community educational sessions.
With more than 35,000 square feet of space dedicated to research and education, Clements University Hospital not only reflects education and research in the approach to patient care, the new hospital integrates both into the physical structure of the facility.