Learn about the care we provide at Children’s Health.
UT Southwestern Medical Center, through the Neurology Service at Children's Medical Center, provides comprehensive diagnosis and management for children who have disorders of the brain, spinal cord, nerves, or muscles. Our team specializes in providing neurological care, consultations, and second opinions for children afflicted by virtually any neurological disorder.
One of the Nation’s Top Neurology and Neurosurgery Programs
The nervous system is a complex, sophisticated system that regulates and coordinates the body's basic functions and activities. It’s made up of two major divisions – the central nervous system, which includes the brain and spinal cord, and the peripheral nervous system, which includes all other neural elements.
Our pediatric neurology patients receive expert care from the Neurology Service at Children's Medical Center, one of the nation’s top neurology and neurosurgery programs ranked No. 15 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report 2023-2024. We place particular emphasis on muscular, physiologic, and behavioral disorders.
Additionally, the collaboration between UT Southwestern and Children’s Health helps bring leading-edge research in pediatric neurology from the lab to the bedside and allows patients to easily transition from pediatric to adult care.
Conditions We Treat
We offer evaluation, diagnosis, and comprehensive management plans as well as access to state-of-the-art clinical trials. Common disorders we treat include:
- Brain tumors
- Cerebrovascular disease and stroke
- Developmental delay
- Neurobehavioral disorders and autism
- Neuroimmunologic disorders, such as multiple sclerosis
- Neurologic complications of sickle cell disease
- Neurometabolic, neurogenetic, and complex/rare diseases
- Neuromuscular disorders, such as muscular dystrophy and myasthenia gravis
- Urgent epilepsy for new-onset afebrile seizures
Specialized clinics we offer include:
Diagnostic and Treatment Services
Our multidisciplinary teams treating pediatric neurological disorders include board-certified pediatric neurologists, pediatric nurse practitioners, physician assistants, licensed pediatric nutritionists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, and speech therapists.
Diagnostic and treatment services we provide include:
- Critical neurological care
- Electroencephalography – both routine and video EEG (including 24-hour inpatient monitoring)
- Epilepsy Monitoring Unit for inpatient evaluation
- Electromyography/nerve conduction studies/repetitive stimulation
- Evoked potentials
- Lumbar puncture
- Muscle/nerve biopsy
- Neonatal neurology
- Skin biopsy
- Transcranial Doppler ultrasound
Learn more about Pediatric Neurology at Children’s Health and the care we provide.
Children’s Health and UT Southwestern actively engage in neurological research, including neuromuscular disease clinical trials, anti-epileptic drug trials, clinical trials in pediatric stroke, and clinical studies in the autism spectrum. Learn more about our neurology research.
January 25, 2021