UT Southwestern provides the highest-quality care and helps restore patients to full and productive lives. Our transplantation teams are there for patients, from initial evaluation through the life of the organ
Performing more liver transplants than anyone else in North Texas in 2019 and 2020, UT Southwestern Medical Center’s Liver Transplant Program continues to experience unprecedented growth while maintaining exceptional patient outcomes.
Through our transplant network located throughout Texas, we make liver transplantation more accessible for people living in El Paso, Lubbock, and the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Our transplant operations take place at Clements University Hospital, which boasts one of the country’s shortest lengths of stay after surgery.
Highlights of Our Liver Transplant Program
- UT Southwestern’s experienced Liver Transplant team uses state-of-the-art techniques and technologies to help patients in need of a liver transplant.
- Our team performed 112 transplants in 2020, while maintaining the highest one-year survival rate in Dallas.
- Our integrated, multidisciplinary team of experts works together to provide an unparalleled level of seamless, patient-focused care.
- Our expertise allows us to treat even the most complex cases and to make liver transplants available to more patients through our living-donor liver program.
- Working closely with other transplant teams at UT Southwestern, we’re able to perform multi-organ transplants, such as combined heart-liver, or lung-liver transplants.
- We are one of only a few centers to offer combined liver transplant and sleeve gastrectomy for obese patients in need of a liver transplant.
- Since 1998, UT Southwestern – led by William Lee, M.D. – has been the home of the Acute Liver Failure Study Group, which gathers important information about the rare disease.
- We offer an expedited transfer and evaluation process for patients with both acute liver failure and acute-on-chronic liver failure.
- Convenient satellite clinics in Lubbock, El Paso, and Fort Worth, along with the expanded use of telemedicine, allow us to deliver transplant care for patients throughout Texas, bringing our expertise closer to patients’ homes.
- Our team members work together to provide ongoing medical management and simplify every step of the process – from support for patients awaiting liver transplants to comprehensive outpatient treatment of transplant recipients.
- Our joint multidisciplinary clinic with UT Southwestern’s Simmons Cancer Center allows us to provide transplantation for patients with liver cancer who cannot undergo surgical resection.
- We treat advanced tumors, such as hepatocellular carcinoma, cholangiocarcinoma, and unresectable colorectal metastases to the liver.
- As an academic medical center, we participate in clinical trials and other leading-edge research. We’re currently evaluating new technologies to treat liver disease and transplant patients, and we’re investigating novel ways to increase the number of healthy donor livers.
Learn about the evaluation and waitlist process.
Liver Transplant Surgery
Find out what happens during surgery at Clements Hospital.
Life After Transplant
Learn what to expect after surgery and get details about our support services.
Complex liver transplant gives Frisco father a new lease on life
Juan Cueto developed liver disease and bile duct cancer, but his life changed dramatically when doctors at UT Southwestern informed him that he was eligible for a liver transplant procedure following a new protocol developed by Dr. Parsia Vagefi and his team.
Meet Our Liver Transplant Team
UT Southwestern’s Liver Transplant Program is made up of a team of skilled surgeons, hepatologists (liver doctors), intensive care doctors, infectious disease doctors, endocrinologists, imaging experts, nurses, transplant coordinators, social workers, psychologists, dietitians, pharmacists, financial coordinators, and other specialists who work side by side. Our team’s expertise enables us to deliver comprehensive, integrated care that helps patients achieve the best possible outcomes.
Dr. Marrero is the Medical Director of Liver Transplantation at UT Southwestern. He is an expert in liver transplantation for patients with liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma). In addition to liver transplantation, he specializes in treating liver disease.
Dr. Hannish is the Surgical Director of UT Southwestern’s Adult and Pediatric Liver Transplantation Program and Director of its Living-Donor Liver Transplantation Program.
Refer a Patient
Transplant Intake Coordinator: Helen Bankston, RN, B.S.N.
Showing 5 locations
Lubbock, Texas 79415
El Paso, Texas 79902
Dallas, Texas 75390 214-645-1919
Plano, Texas 75024