- Residency - UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994-1996), Plastic Surgery
- Medical School - Georgetown University Medical Center School of Medicine (1985-1989)
- Residency - MedStar Georgetown University Hospital (1990-1994), General Surgery
- Internship - MedStar Georgetown University Hospital (1989-1990), General Surgery
Jeffrey Kenkel, M.D.
- Betty and Warren Woodward Chair in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rod J. Rohrich, M.D., Distinguished Professorship in Wound Healing and Plastic Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery of the Face
- Cosmetic Breast Surgery
Jeffrey M. Kenkel, M.D., F.A.C.S., is the Betty and Warren Woodward Chair in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Professor and Chair of the Department of Plastic Surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center. In addition, he holds the Rod J. Rohrich, M.D., Distinguished Professorship in Wound Healing and Plastic Surgery. He is the Director of the Clinical Center for Cosmetic Laser Treatment.
Dr. Kenkel earned his medical degree at Georgetown University School of Medicine, where he also completed a residency in general surgery. He completed an additional residency in plastic surgery at UT Southwestern. He is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a past member of its board.
Dr. Kenkel’s research focuses primarily on laser- and light-based devices and their tissue interaction, as well as advancements in facial skin treatments. He helped develop a noninvasive imaging center to help assess the aging process and the effect of devices on aging.
He has authored more than 150 scientific articles and textbook chapters on laser, facial, and body-contouring surgery. He is Editor of Selected Readings in Plastic Surgery and Associate Editor of the Aesthetic Surgery Journal. He remains actively involved in the education of plastic surgeons around the country, speaking on nonsurgical options for rejuvenation, surgery following massive weight loss, and aesthetic plastic surgery.
A past President of The Aesthetic Society and the Dallas Society of Plastic Surgeons, Dr. Kenkel is also a member of the Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons, the Texas Medical Association, the Dallas County Medical Society, the Association of Academic Chairmen of Plastic Surgery, the American College of Surgeons, the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, and the American Association of Plastic Surgeons.
A D Magazine Best Doctor and Texas Monthly Super Doctor, Dr. Kenkel also has been named as a U.S. News & World Report Best Doctor and one of America's Top Plastic Surgeons, and he appears in the media regularly to comment on plastic surgery issues. His appearances have included Newsweek, Allure, CNN, WFAA, Good Morning America, The New York Times, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, and many other media outlets.
Dr. Kenkel has been a team physician for the Dallas Stars since 1996.
Dr. Kenkel was born and raised in the Washington, D.C., area but moved to Dallas nearly 25 years ago. He and his wife, Suzanne, have enjoyed raising their son and daughter, Matthew and Ashley, in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Dr. Kenkel’s outside interests include golf, hockey, CrossFit, wakesurfing, music, and nutrition. The Kenkels are avid animal lovers. They have rescued several dogs and volunteer as a family at the DFW Humane Society.
Meet Dr. Kenkel
Internationally Recognized Plastic Surgeon
Jeffrey Kenkel, M.D., F.A.C.S., is an internationally recognized expert in aesthetic plastic surgery. As Chair of the Department of Plastic Surgery at UT Southwestern, Dr. Kenkel offers his patients the latest innovations in nonsurgical and surgical procedures at the UT Southwestern Plastic Surgery clinics in Dallas and Frisco.
A D Magazine Best Doctor and Texas Monthly Super Doctor, Dr. Kenkel is known for combining new research with refined surgical techniques. “Our goal is always optimal safety, comfort, and results,” he says.
Dr. Kenkel says that the best results come from partnership between him and his patient, so he makes accessibility to his patients a top priority. He takes time to understand each patient’s goals and expectations so that he can tailor his recommendations accordingly and answer any questions a patient might have before, during, or after a procedure.
He notes that his surgical expertise is only part of achieving the best possible outcomes. “There also must be a commitment by the patient to embrace a healthy lifestyle,” he says, “including eating right and being physically active each day.”
Before any procedure, Dr. Kenkel works with each of his patients to create a strategy that will be successful for him or her. “I believe that looking one’s best is just one element of true health,” he says.
As an experienced plastic surgeon, Dr. Kenkel feels one of his main strengths is reviewing the spectrum of available nonsurgical and surgical treatment options with each patient and together determining which options will allow the patient to achieve the desired outcome.
Research for Results
Throughout his career, Dr. Kenkel has been involved in research to develop and test new innovations in plastic surgery. His current research focus is developing laser- and light-based therapies and determining their interactions with the skin, focusing on the aging process.
Outside his clinical practice, Dr. Kenkel takes great satisfaction in training the next generation of plastic surgeons at UT Southwestern, as well as educating surgeons around the country and the world about new advances and techniques. UT Southwestern remains the top plastic surgery training program in the country as noted by U.S. News and World Report.
“New technologies give us more treatment options for our patients,” Dr. Kenkel says. “UT Southwestern is on the leading edge of plastic surgery research and innovation, so my patients can count on our knowledge of current trends in plastic surgery and what’s effective and safe – as well as insights into new discoveries.”
- American Association of Plastic Surgeons (AAPS) (2005), Fellow
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery (ASLMS) (2005)
- American Society for Education and Research Foundation (ASERF) (2005)
- Dallas Society of Plastic Surgeons (DSPS) (2004), Past President
- The Aesthetic Society (2000), President (2011), Board Member (2005 - 2013)
- American College of Surgeons (ACS) (2000), Fellow
- Association of Academic Chairmen of Plastic Surgery (AACPS), Associate Member (1998)
- Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons (TSPS)
- Texas Medical Association (TMA)
- Dallas County Medical Society (DCMS)
- D Magazine Best Doctors in Dallas
- America's Top Doctors
- Best Doctors U.S. News & World Report
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors 2015-2016
- Clinician of the Year - Department of Plastic Surgery 2015
- ASAPS Jerome R. Klingbell Award for Dedication to Teaching 2013
- Best Doctors in Dallas 2012-2014
- Top 1% of physicians by U.S. News & World Report 2012
- Fritz Barton Jr., Teaching Award 2012
- The Ted Lockwood Award for Excellence in Body Contouring 2009
- Who's Who in America 2009
- America's Top Plastic Surgeons 2008
- Holder of the Rod J. Rohrich, M.D. Distinguished Professorship in Wound Healing and Plastic Surgery 2005-2020
- Texas Super Doctors 2005-2017
- Best Doctors in America 2005-2008
- Outstanding Mentoring for Plastic Surgery Research at UT Southwestern 2003
- Chief Resident Teaching Award 1994, Presented by fellow residents for outstanding resident education
- Plastic Surgery Resident's Excellence in Teaching Award 1996, Presented by Department of Plastic Surgery
- Plastic Surgery Resident's Excellence in Teaching Award 1996
- Student Teaching Award 1993, Presented by Medical School Class of 1993
- The Marie J. Simonian Award for Outstanding Resident Clinical Presentation 1992
- Outstanding Service as a Resident at the District of Columbia General Hospital 1991
- Alpha Omega Alpha 1989, National Medical Honor Society
Rod. J. Rohrich, Jeffrey M.Kenkel, Samuel J. Beran Published by Quality Medical Publishing 1998
Dallas Rhinoplasty - The Male Rhinoplasty
Rod J. Rohrich, M.D., Jeffrey M. Kenkel, M.D. Jack P. Gunter, M.D. Published by Quality Medical Publishing, Inc. 2002 2 993-1005
Discussion for Side Effects and Complications of Variable-pulsed Erbium:Yttrium-Aluminum-Garnet Laser Skin Resurfacing:Extended Experience with 50 Patients
Kenkel JM Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery April 2003 111 1530-1532
An Update on the Role of Subcutaneous Infiltration in Suction-Assisted Lipoplasty
Rohrich RJ, Kenkel JM, Janis JE, Beran SJ, Fador PB Plastic Recontructive Surgery February 2003 111 926-927
Body Contouring After Massive Weight Loss
Kenkel, et al Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery January 2006 117 (S1)
Personal Evolution in Thighplasty Techniques for Patients Following Massive Weight Loss.
Xie SM, Small K, Stark R, Constantine RS, Farkas JP, Kenkel JM Aesthetic surgery journal 2017 Oct 37 10 1124-1135
Utility of Adipocyte Fractions in Fat Grafting in an Athymic Rat Model.
Akgul Y, Constantine R, Bartels M, Scherer P, Davis K, Kenkel JM Aesthetic surgery journal 2018 May
Current Trends in Breast Augmentation: Analysis of 2011-2015 Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Tracer Data.
Ballard TNS, Hill S, Nghiem BT, Lysikowski JR, Brandt K, Cederna PS, Kenkel JM Aesthetic surgery journal 2018 Jul
Characterization of Adipose Tissue Product Quality Using Measurements of Oxygen Consumption Rate.
Suszynski TM, Sieber DA, Mueller K, Van Beek AL, Cunningham BL, Kenkel JM Aesthetic surgery journal 2017 Oct
Optimizing Patient Outcomes and Safety With Liposuction.
Mendez BM, Coleman JE, Kenkel JM Aesthetic surgery journal 2018 Jun
Social Media: A Necessary Evil?
Devitt S, Kenkel JM, Aesthetic surgery journal 2019 Dec
Lessons Learned After 15 Years of Circumferential Bodylift Surgery.
Small KH, Constantine R, Eaves FF, Kenkel JM Aesthetic surgery journal / the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic surgery 2016 Jan
Noninvasive Methods for Lower Facial Rejuvenation.
Sieber DA, Kenkel JM Clinics in plastic surgery 2018 Oct 45 4 571-584
- Ultrasound-Assisted Liposuction
- Noninvasive Objective Facial Analysis
- Improving Quality of the Dermis with Fat and its Components
- Qualitative and Quantitative Assessment of Skin Tightening Following Device Treatment
- Cosmetic Surgery of the Face
- Cosmetic Breast Surgery
- Body Contouring
- Surgery Following Weight Loss
- Laser, Skin Care, and Injectables