January 31, 2019
Pediatric Adolescent Gynecology
At UT Southwestern Medical Center and Children’s Health, our pediatric-adolescent gynecologists specialize in care for girls up to age 18. As the only pediatric-adolescent gynecology program in North Texas, we provide compassionate care using the latest advances in evaluation and treatment.
Expert Care in Pediatric-Adolescent Gynecology
Gynecology is the area of medicine that specializes in diagnosing, treating, and managing conditions that affect the female reproductive organs. Our pediatric gynecology specialists provide evaluation, treatment, and support tailored to babies, children, and teens.
Our pediatric-adolescent gynecologists have advanced training to understand the unique issues that affect the development and anatomy of growing girls and young women. Our physicians take great care to examine and treat girls in a sensitive manner, and to address their specific needs. We provide specialized care through a joint effort with Children's Medical Center in Dallas and at Legacy in Plano.
Gynecology Conditions We Treat
Our gynecologists have the expertise to treat all kinds of conditions and injuries that affect girls’ reproductive organs. Some of the issues we treat include:
- Anomalies of the reproductive organs, such as the uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, or cervix
- Congenital (present since birth) or acquired (developed after birth) genital anomalies
- Cysts, masses, or lesions of the reproductive organs
- Early or delayed puberty or sexual development
- Menstrual problems caused by other health conditions
- Painful periods and heavy bleeding
- Pelvic pain
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), such as chlamydia, genital herpes, HIV, human papillomavirus (HPV), pelvic inflammatory disease, and syphilis
- Vaginal discharge
- Vaginal trauma
- Vaginitis (inflammation of the vagina), yeast infections, and other infections
Pediatric-Adolescent Gynecology Services We Offer
At UT Southwestern and Children’s Health, our team offers comprehensive care for babies, girls, and young women, focusing on treatment for complex conditions. We also have expertise in working with patients who have special needs or developmental delays. Our services include:
- Minimally invasive surgery for conditions such as ovarian cysts and endometriosis
- Counseling and provision of contraception as birth control and as treatment for certain conditions such as heavy menstrual bleeding
- Evaluation and treatment for menstrual abnormalities, pelvic pain, and STDs
- Fertility preservation for patients undergoing certain types of cancer treatment (at UTSW)
- Reconstructive surgery for developmental anomalies of reproductive organs
Anything that patients (either adults or teens) tell their health care providers is, by law, confidential unless the doctor believes the patient:
- Is a danger to herself or others
- Cannot make decisions on her own
However, it is helpful and important for teens and their parents to have an open line of communication between them so that they can discuss any health concerns or other worries. Teens need to know their parents will be there to protect and support them.
Patient Education Resources
For more information about conditions that affect girls, please visit the North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology (NASPAG) Patient Tools site.
We are active in clinical research to improve understanding and treatment of conditions that affect children. We are currently conducting research related to transgender youth as well as ovarian cysts/masses in adolescents. For more information about clinical trials, please talk to our doctors.
February 9, 2022
Results: 3 Locations