October 12, 2021
For women considering having a baby, our experienced physicians can help them understand how to prepare their bodies for pregnancy and increase their chances of having a healthy baby.
Our obstetricians and their teams have years of experience helping women achieve their best health before becoming pregnant.
Preconception Counseling for a Healthy Pregnancy
Women can schedule a preconception counseling appointment three to six months before trying to get pregnant. The goal is to find and address any medical issues and get as healthy as possible before pregnancy.
Obstetricians at UT Southwestern provide comprehensive services backed by years of experience in preconception and pregnancy care. Our doctors wrote one of the foremost reference books in obstetrics – Williams Obstetrics and its companion, Williams Gynecology.
Our Preconception Counseling Services
Our obstetricians provide expert care and services to help women physically prepare for becoming pregnant. Our preconception services include:
- Fertility treatment and services to help with conceiving
- High-risk pregnancy care for women with medical conditions or risk factors that can affect pregnancy
- Prenatal care such as vaccinations and other primary care to prevent and treat illnesses and infections
- Support with healthy lifestyle habits such as diet, regular exercise, appropriate weight, prenatal supplements, and avoidance of tobacco, alcohol, and illicit drugs
What to Expect
During the preconception counseling visit, women should talk with their doctors about any concerns they have about becoming pregnant. Topics we will discuss include:
- Conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, lupus, cystic fibrosis, or seizures
- Family health history, including hereditary or genetic diseases such as Tay-Sachs disease
- Personal health history, such as current medications and previous surgeries or hospitalizations
- Reproductive history, such as menstrual history, any previous pregnancies, and contraceptive use
- Lifestyle habits such as diet and exercise
- Home and workplace environment
Showing 3 locations