Search for opportunities to participate in a men's health research study.
Male Urology Problems
New Patient Appointment or 214-645-8300
The urologists at UT Southwestern Medical Center are internationally recognized as leaders in the treatment of urological conditions that affect men. Many of our physicians lead groundbreaking research in areas such as incontinence; benign prostatic diseases such as enlarged prostate; prostate, bladder, kidney and other cancers; erectile dysfunction; and minimally invasive surgical techniques.
UT Southwestern’s male urology specialists offer each patient a unique treatment plan designed to achieve an effective cure, an optimal rehabilitation, and an improved quality of life.
Sensitive Care for a Range of Concerns
UT Southwestern specialists expertly treat an array of conditions that affect the kidney, ureter, bladder, and male genitals. Our dedicated urologists treat male urology concerns that include:
- Benign (non-cancerous) lesions
- Benign prostate conditions such as prostatitis and enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH)
- Erectile dysfunction
- Peyronie's disease (penile curvature)
- Urinary incontinence
- Kidney stones
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Urinary tract infections
- Penile trauma
- Birth control, including vasectomy
Diagnosis of Male Urology Problems
Our urologists first conduct a thorough physical examination and talk with men about their medical and family history. Diagnostic tests for male urology problems can include:
- Imaging studies such as ultrasound
- Laboratory analysis (pathology)
- Tissue sample (biopsy)
Treatments for Male Urology Problems
Some male urology problems can resolve on their own, but others need treatment. UT Southwestern offers a number of advanced therapies to treat the full range of male urology concerns. These treatments include:
- Oral medications such as antibiotics, anti-inflammatory agents, and symptom-relieving drugs
- Injectable agents such as interferon and collagenase, used to reduce scar tissue and inflammation in conditions such as Peyronie’s disease
- Minimally invasive surgical procedures
- Laser therapies, used to treat conditions that include kidney stones, ureteral stones, and certain prostate issues
- Rezūm water vapor therapy, an FDA-approved treatment for enlarged prostate
- Reconstructive urologic surgery to help with incontinence and traumatic injuries to the kidney, ureter, bladder, and genitals
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation
The urologists at UT Southwestern also perform vasectomies, sometimes called “male sterilization.” During these simple outpatient procedures, the two tiny vessels in the scrotum that carry sperm (the vas deferens) are cut or blocked.
Because a vasectomy doesn’t allow a man’s sperm to become part of his semen, the procedure permanently prevents pregnancy in female sexual partners.
At UT Southwestern we are dedicated to providing comprehensive care in the diagnoses and treatment of men experiencing fertility problems. We work collaboratively with reproductive endocrinologists (female fertility experts) to enhance the overall fertility care of the couple.
Common treatments we do include:
- Vasectomy reversals
- Testicular sperm extractions
- Varicocele repair
- Fertility preservation in cancer patients
- Medical management of low sperm counts, low sperm motility, and low sperm morphology
Related Conditions and Treatments
We’re one of the world’s top academic medical centers, with a unique legacy of innovation in patient care and scientific discovery.
What We Know About Your Prostate
November 9, 2018
UTSW teams exceed 1,000 targeted prostate biopsies
October 6, 2016
Results: 5 Locations
Male Infertility Clinicat Outpatient Building 1801 Inwood Road, 6th Floor
Dallas, Texas 75390 214-645-3858 Directions to Male Infertility Clinic Parking Info for Male Infertility Clinic
UT Southwestern Medical Group at Lewisville - Urology541 West Main Street, Suite 150
Lewisville, Texas 75057 972-420-8500 Directions to UT Southwestern Medical Group at Lewisville - Urology
Urologyat UT Southwestern Monty and Tex Moncrief Medical Center at Fort Worth 600 South Main Street, 2nd Floor, Suite 2.400
Fort Worth, Texas 76104 817-882-2450 Directions to Urology
Urologyat UT Southwestern Frisco 12500 Dallas Parkway, 3rd Floor
Frisco, Texas 75033 469-604-9000 Directions to Urology Parking Info for Urology
Urology Clinicat West Campus Building 3 2001 Inwood Road, 4th Floor
Dallas, Texas 75390 214-645-8765 Directions to Urology Clinic Parking Info for Urology Clinic