Gamma Knife Icon utilizes cone-beam CT imaging to verify patient positioning before frameless treatments. During treatments, the High Definition Motion Management (HDMM) system continuously tracks the movements of the patient to ensure submillimeter precision.
Benefits of the Gamma Knife Icon include:
- Limited radiation exposure to healthy brain, head tissue, and cranial nerves
- Ultra-precise stereotactic radiosurgery without using a restrictive headframe (as was required with previous models)
- A more comfortable patient experience, including shorter treatment times
- Ability to spread treatments over several days to protect neighboring tissues if necessary
- Treatment of more patients with brain metastases in place of whole brain radiation
- Treating larger tumors and AVMS which previously were not treated with the Gamma Knife