- Graduate School - West Virginia University School of Medicine (1980-1985), Pharmacology
- Fellowship - West Virginia University School of Medicine (1979-1981), Neuropharmacology
- Internship/Residency - West Virginia University School of Medicine (1975-1979), Neurology
- Medical School - West Virginia University School of Medicine (1971-1975)
Gregory Carter, M.D., Ph.D.
- Sleep & Breathing Disorders
Dr. Carter is currently on the staff of the Sleep and Breathing Disorders Center at St. Paul University Hospital and the Director of the Sleep Medicine Fellowship Program of UT Southwestern. He was Chief of the Neurology and Sleep Medicine Section of the VA Medical Center in Dallas until August 30, 2009. At the VAMC he spent 25 years involved in basic and clinical research. After finishing his dissertation studies in monoamine metabolism in the neostriatum (Carter 1985), he has developed extensive experience in epilepsy, stroke, and clinical pharmacology. In the field of epilepsy, his research has included animal models of epileptogenesis (Carter & Warner, 1987, 1988, 1989) and human studies in epilepsy and antiepileptic drugs (Mattson, et.al. 1992 & 1996, Privitera, et.al.,1996). He has also served as principal investigator in a study of acute pharmacological intervention in new strokes (1995) and was a co-investigator in the NIH-sponsored ACE trial of aspirin and carotid endarterectomy, as well as, a NIAAA study of alcoholism. More recently he has been involved in applied research on the use of ambulatory cardiorespiratory sleep studies while continuing research in stroke.
- American Medical Association
- American Clinical Neurophysiology Society (Fellow)
- American Association of Sleep Medicine (Fellow)
- American Association of Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- American Academy of Neurology
Low-dose and high-dose acetylsalicylic acid for patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy: a randomized controlled trial.
Taylor DW, Barnett HJM, Haynes RB, Ferguson GG, Sackett DL, Thorpe KE, Simard D, Silver FL, Hachinski V, Clagett GP, Barnes R, Spence JD for the ASA and Carotid Endarterectomy (ACE) Trial Collaborators Lancet 1999 353 2179-2184
Test-retest comparability and control subject data for the Rey-Auditory verbal learning test and Rey-Osterreith/Taylor complex figures.
Delaney RC, Prevey ML, Cramer JA, Mattson RH and the VA Epilepsy Cooperative Study #264 Group Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology 1992 7 1-6
Effect of valproate on cognitive functioning.
Prevey ML, Delaney RC, Cramer JA, Cattanach L, Collins JF, Mattson RH for the Department of Veterans Affairs Epilepsy Cooperative Study 264 Group Archives of Neurology 1996 53 1008-1016
Topiramate placebo-controlled dose ranging trial in refractory partial epilepsy using 600,800, 1000 mg daily dosages.
Privitera M, Fincham R, Penry J, Reife R, Kramer L, Pledger G, Karim R and the Topiramate YE Study Group Neurology 1996 46 1678-1683
A comparison of valproate with carbamazepine for the treatment of partial seizures and secondarily generalized tonic-clonic seizures in adults.
Mattson RH, Cramer JA, Collins JF, McCutchen CB, Mamdani MB, Davenport J, Lubozynski MF, Ramsey RE, Carter GS, Rowan AJ, Shin C, Browne TR, Ebersole JS, Treiman DM, Warner JJ, Smith DB, Fish SL, Rubino FA, Salinsky M, Scheyer RD, Wilder FJ New England Journal of Medicine 1992 327 765-771
New onset geriatric epilepsy: a randomized study of gabapentin, lamotrigine, and carbamazepine.
Rowan AJ, Ramsay RE, Collins JF, Pryor F, Boardman KD, Uthman BM, Spitz M, Frederick T, Towne A, Carter GS, Marks W, Felicetta J, Tomyanovich ML Neurology 2005 Jun 64 11 1868-73
Acute and emergent events in sleep disorders.
Carter GS Archives of neurology 2012 Jul 69 7 936
Subspecialty Training in Sleep Medicine for Psychiatrists
Gregory Carter, Imran S Khawaja, and Erik St. Louis Psychiatric Annals 2018 48 11 520-523
Screening for Improvement of Health Outcomes in Asymptomatic Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
Carter GS JAMA neurology 2017 Jan
Validity of a portable cardio-respiratory system to collect data in the home environment in patients with obstructive sleep apnea
Carter GS, Coyle MA, and Mendelson WB Sleep and Hypnosis 2004 6 2 74-81
- Low-dose and high-dose acetylsalicylic acid for patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy: a randomized controlled trial.
- monoamine metabolism in the neostriatum
- human studies in epilepsy and antiepileptic drugs
- Antiplatelet therapy for the prevention of stroke and Novel methods for the detection of sleep disordered breathing
- animal models of epileptogenesis
- Sleep & Breathing Disorders
Showing 1 locations