- Medical School - Universidad La Salle/Facuitad de Medicina (1994-2000)
- Residency - University of Illinois at Chicago (2002-2005), Pediatrics
- Fellowship - Massachusetts General Hospital (2005-2008), Pediatric Endocrinology
Dr. Lopez did her residency in Pediatrics at the University of Illinois at Chicago, IL, and her fellowship in Pediatric Endocrinology at Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
She has performed research in the area of type 2 diabetes and obesity in adults and pediatrics and has participated in several multicenter clinical trials with new drugs for type 2 diabetes.
She is currently the Medical Director for the GENder, Education and Care Interdisciplinary Support (GENECIS) program, which provides mental health and endocrine care for gender non-conforming children and adolescents. Dr. Lopez is also currently co-chair of the Transgender Health Special Interest Group of the Pediatric Endocrine Society.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Endocrinology Executive Committee Member (2016-2019)
- Pediatric Endocrine Society, Co-chair of the Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Youth SIG (2015)
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) (2014)
- Diabetes National Medical Advisor, Novo Nordisk, Spain (2008-2010)
- D Magazine Best Pediatric Specialist 2020
- Best grades of graduating class from Medical School 2000, Universidad La Salle Medical School, Mexico City
- Graduation from Medical School with Honors 2000, Universidad La Salle Medical School, Mexico City
Hypoglycemia in Infants and Children in Pediatric Nutrition, 7th Edition, R. Kleinman, F. Greer, eds.
McManus S, Lopez X, Levitsky L. (2013), American Academy of Pediatrics
- Hypoglycemia in Infants and Children in Pediatric Nutrition, 7th Edition, R. Kleinman, F. Greer, eds.
Counseling in Pediatric Populations at Risk for Infertility and/or Sexual Function Concerns.
Nahata L, Quinn GP, Tishelman AC Pediatrics 2018 Aug 142 2
Impact of GLP-1 and GLP-1 receptor agonists on cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetes.
Verge D, López X Current diabetes reviews 2010 Jul 6 4 191-200
Insulin enhances glucose-stimulated insulin secretion in healthy humans.
Bouche C, Lopez X, Fleischman A, Cypess AM, O'Shea S, Stefanovski D, Bergman RN, Rogatsky E, Stein DT, Kahn CR, Kulkarni RN, Goldfine AB Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2010 Mar 107 10 4770-5
Exogenous insulin enhances glucose-stimulated insulin response in healthy humans independent of changes in free fatty acids.
Lopez X, Cypess A, Manning R, O'Shea S, Kulkarni RN, Goldfine AB The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism 2011 Dec 96 12 3811-21
Insulin augmentation of glucose-stimulated insulin secretion is impaired in insulin-resistant humans.
Halperin F, Lopez X, Manning R, Kahn CR, Kulkarni RN, Goldfine AB Diabetes 2012 Feb 61 2 301-9
A role of the Inflammasome in the low storage capacity of the abdominal subcutaneous adipose tissue in obese adolescents.
Kursawe R, Dixit VD, Scherer PE, Santoro N, Narayan D, Gordillo R, Giannini C, Lopez X, Pierpont B, Nouws J, Shulman GI, Caprio S Diabetes 2015 Dec
Effect of pioglitazone on plasma ceramides in adults with metabolic syndrome.
Warshauer JT, Lopez X, Gordillo R, Hicks J, Holland WL, Anuwe E, Blankfard MB, Scherer PE, Lingvay I Diabetes/metabolism research and reviews 2015 May
Association of Non-High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol with Psychosocial Dysfunction in Children and Adolescents with Obesity.
Serrano-Gonzalez M, McConnel C, Bokhary M, Oden J, Lopez X Childhood obesity (Print) 2015 Sep
Statement on gender-affirmative approach to care from the pediatric endocrine society special interest group on transgender health.
Lopez X, Marinkovic M, Eimicke T, Rosenthal SM, Olshan JS Current opinion in pediatrics 2017 May
Human insulin analog--induced lipoatrophy.
Lopez X, Castells M, Ricker A, Velazquez EF, Mun E, Goldfine AB Diabetes care 2008 Mar 31 3 442-4
Cromolyn sodium for insulin-induced lipoatrophy: old drug, new use.
Phua EJ, Lopez X, Ramus J, Goldfine AB Diabetes care 2013 Dec 36 12 e204-5
Gender dysphoria in youth: a review of recent literature.
Cartaya J, Lopez X Current opinion in endocrinology, diabetes, and obesity 2017 Nov
An infant with hypercalcemia and rachitic changes: question.
Siddique K, Lucke A, Lucio D, Lopez X, Seikaly M Pediatric nephrology (Berlin, Germany) 2013 Feb 28 2 245-6, 247-9
Liraglutide's safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics in pediatric type 2 diabetes: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
Klein DJ, Battelino T, Chatterjee DJ, Jacobsen LV, Hale PM, Arslanian S Diabetes technology & therapeutics 2014 Oct 16 10 679-87
Family history of diabetes impacts on interactions between minimal model estimates of insulin sensitivity and glucose effectiveness.
Lopez X, Bouché C, Tatro E, Goldfine AB Diabetes, obesity & metabolism 2009 Feb 11 2 123-30
Plasma ceramides are elevated in female children and adolescents with type 2 diabetes.
Lopez X, Goldfine AB, Holland WL, Gordillo R, Scherer PE Journal of pediatric endocrinology & metabolism : JPEM 2013 Apr 1-4
Approach to Children and Adolescents with Gender Dysphoria.
Lopez X, Stewart S, Jacobson-Dickman E Pediatrics in review / American Academy of Pediatrics 2016 Mar 37 3 89-98
- Counseling in Pediatric Populations at Risk for Infertility and/or Sexual Function Concerns.
- Neurobiology of transgender children and adolescents
- Metabolic effects of endocrine therapy in adolescents with gender dysphoria
- Gender dysphoria in children and adolescents