Changes to Temporary Visitor Policy
With declines in COVID-19 cases and a growing number of people being vaccinated, UT Southwestern is expanding its patient visitor policy from one guest to two in certain environments that provide ample space for social distancing.
Two visitors per patient are permitted in Williams P. Clements Jr. University Hospital and Zale Lipshy Pavilion, unless under the following circumstances:
- Only one visitor may accompany a surgery patient to the hospital and Outpatient Surgical Center (WA), including preoperative and post-anesthesia care areas, where seating has been reduced so patients and visitors have adequate space between them.
- Only one visitor is allowed in the Emergency Department.
- No guests are permitted to visit COVID-19 patients, as enhanced safety measures must continue.
Given that social distancing can be more challenging in our ambulatory settings, patients are allowed one guest to clinic appointments.
At this time, children under age 12 should refrain from visiting our hospitals and Outpatient Surgery Center. Minors are permitted in our clinics, so long as the one visitor per patient rule is upheld. If children are UT Southwestern patients, they may be joined by two parents/guardians.
Visitor screening requirements
- Designated entry points have been created at all hospitals and clinics.
- We will screen everyone for COVID-19 infection risk. You'll be asked about recent travel and respiratory symptoms (fever, shortness of breath, or a cough)
- Everyone will also get a forehead thermometer scan. (Our staff will wipe thermometer reading tips with an alcohol swab after each use to sanitize them). Any individuals registering a reading of 99.6°F/37.6°C or higher will not be allowed in the buildings. Staff can provide guidance on next steps.
- Surgical masks will be worn by all employees in hospitals and ambulatory clinics.
- The roll-out of a virtual care platform gives patients and providers the option of rescheduling in-person appointments to video visits.
Please help us prevent further spread of infections by limiting the number of people who come to campus for support. You can take advantage of our virtual technology to connect to your loved ones. UTSW’s Clements University Hospital and Zale Lipshy Pavilion have a number of ways to connect with family and friends virtually that nurses and others on your care team can assist you with using. Information on those options is available here.
More details on the visitor policy and campus-wide efforts to minimize risk is available here.
We want each patient and visitor at William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital to have as pleasant an experience as possible.
With that goal in mind, please make a note of our visitor guidelines, which are designed to ensure your visit goes smoothly.