Changes to Temporary Visitor Policy
With declines in COVID-19 cases and a growing number of people being vaccinated, UT Southwestern is expanding its patient visitor policy from one guest to two in certain environments that provide ample space for social distancing.
Two visitors per patient are permitted in Williams P. Clements Jr. University Hospital and Zale Lipshy Pavilion, unless under the following circumstances:
- Only one visitor may accompany a surgery patient to the hospital and Outpatient Surgical Center (WA), including preoperative and post-anesthesia care areas, where seating has been reduced so patients and visitors have adequate space between them.
- Only one visitor is allowed in the Emergency Department.
- No guests are permitted to visit COVID-19 patients, as enhanced safety measures must continue.
Given that social distancing can be more challenging in our ambulatory settings, patients are allowed one guest to clinic appointments.
At this time, children under age 12 should refrain from visiting our hospitals and Outpatient Surgery Center. Minors are permitted in our clinics, so long as the one visitor per patient rule is upheld. If children are UT Southwestern patients, they may be joined by two parents/guardians.
Visitor screening requirements
- Designated entry points have been created at all hospitals and clinics.
- We will screen everyone for COVID-19 infection risk. You'll be asked about recent travel and respiratory symptoms (fever, shortness of breath, or a cough)
- Everyone will also get a forehead thermometer scan. (Our staff will wipe thermometer reading tips with an alcohol swab after each use to sanitize them). Any individuals registering a reading of 99.6°F/37.6°C or higher will not be allowed in the buildings. Staff can provide guidance on next steps.
- Surgical masks will be worn by all employees in hospitals and ambulatory clinics.
- The roll-out of a virtual care platform gives patients and providers the option of rescheduling in-person appointments to video visits.
Please help us prevent further spread of infections by limiting the number of people who come to campus for support. You can take advantage of our virtual technology to connect to your loved ones. UTSW’s Clements University Hospital and Zale Lipshy Pavilion have a number of ways to connect with family and friends virtually that nurses and others on your care team can assist you with using. Information on those options is available here.
More details on the visitor policy and campus-wide efforts to minimize risk is available here.
At William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital, we know that our patients benefit from the love and support of their family and friends. That’s why we work to create a welcoming, comfortable environment for all visitors.
If a friend or family member is a patient at Clements University Hospital, you’re welcome to visit. Please note: All visitors are encouraged to check in at the main Guest Services desk, located in the lobby near the main entrance.
Our facility has flexible visiting hours to meet the needs of our patients and guests. General visiting hours: are 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Learn more about our visiting guidelines and overnight stays.
Clements University Hospital offers a variety of dining options to meet the needs of patients and visitors, including:
- Main Dining Area
- Simply to Go
- Coffee Shop
- In-room dining
Learn more about hospital dining options.
For your convenience, we offer free wireless internet (Wi-Fi) access throughout Clements University Hospital. Learn more about our Wi-Fi services.
Throughout William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital, our spacious and comfortable family lounges help make visitors feel welcome and at ease.
Every patient floor has two family lounges to provide plenty of room for loved ones. These quiet areas feel private and peaceful and feature floor-to-ceiling windows to let in plenty of natural light.
To maintain a feeling of privacy, each lounge includes frosted glass partitions and a secluded cellphone area where visitors can make phone calls without disturbing others.
Explore the Hospital
We created our hospital with patients and visitors in mind. While you’re here, take advantage of what we have to offer.
- Gift shop: Our hospital gift shop is open seven days a week and offers gifts, flowers, balloons, and more.
- Patient and Family Resource Center: This unique space, located on the ground floor near the main entrance, provides patients and visitors with access to public computers and printers, a digital greeting card service, and interactive displays with information on UT Southwestern, health care knowledge and research, and current clinical trials. Entry is free.
- Art collection: We’re proud of our facility’s extensive art collection, a diverse selection of paintings, sculpture, and mixed-media pieces, which helps to create a calming and restorative environment throughout our patient rooms, corridors, lobbies, and staff areas.